Work positioning belt & positioning lanyard Manual
All Miller/ Sperian Connectors Conform to the Normal Standard of EN 358
You have just acquired personal protective equipment (ppe) and we thank you for your confidence. In order for this product to meet all your requirements, we ask you before each use, to follow the instructions in this manual.
Disregarding the instructions described in this manual could give rise to some serious repercussions. We advise that you re-read these instructions from time to time. In addition, the supplier or his agent declines all responsibility for any use, storage methods or maintenance carried out in any other manner than that described in this manual.
If the buyer is not the end user, it is important that these instructions are given to the latter.
Check that the ppe you have acquired is compatible with the recommendations of all other components of the fall arrest system. It is necessary to be completely sure before use that the recommendations specific to each element associated with this product, such as defined in their instructions, are respected. Whenever possible, it is strongly advised to personally attribute the ppe to an individual user. While in use, protect your ppe against all risks connected with the work environment: thermal, electrical or mechanical shocks, acid discharges, etc…
Activities at height are dangerous and can bring about serious accidents and injuries. We remind that you are personally responsible in the case of an accident, injury or fatality to either yourself or a third party during or following the use of one of our products. The use of our products is reserved for competent people, who have gone through the proper training or who are operating under the supervision and instruction of a competent and experienced person. Ensure that you have been adequately trained in the use of this ppe and make sure that you have fully understood how it works. If there is any doubt, do not take any risks but seek advice. A good physical condition is obligatory in order to carry out work from a height.
Instructions for use and upkeep:
- A work positioning belt is intended for work at a height on posts or other such structures.
- Used with a positioning adjustable lanyard, it allows oneself to be in position and have ones hands free so as to undertake the task in hand.
- The adjustable lanyard must be used with a belt-harness or a work positioning belt.
- It must not be used to stop falls.
Before use, you must check:
- Absence of the start of any breakage in the webbing
- Absence of any deforming of the “d” rings
- The smooth working of the buckle
- The reliability of the sewing
- The good condition of the metallic elements
The adjustable lanyard:
- Absence of the start of any breakage in the rope
- Absence of any deforming of the thimbles
- The reliability of the splices
- Absence of any deterioration of the rope or the webbing
- Absence of any deformation or misuse of the connectors.
- The smooth working of the adjusting device.
- The smooth working of the connectors.
- In case of doubt, the ppe must be removed from service immediately.
- Buckle the belt around the waist and adjust it.
- Connect the extremity of the adjustable lanyard to one of the 2 ‘d’ rings (the adjustable element can either be connected to the right or left side ‘d’ ring).
- Pass the positioning lanyard behind the structure (post, trunk, etc.) And buckle the second extremity on the other ‘d’ ring.
- Before climbing, test functioning of the work position system.
- Check that the geometry of the structure allows the use of a positioning system (structures with small diameters and exposed edges must be prohibited.)
- Adjust the lanyard so as to work comfortably, with both hands free.
- In the work position, the adjustment of the positioning lanyard must not allow a free fall of a distance superior to 0.5m it is necessary to use a belt equipped with a comfort pad when the work position must be maintained for a long time.
During use correct check regularly the adjusting and your attaching parts important recommendations:
- Before each use, it is advisable to carry out an in-depth visual examination in order to assure the integrity of the ppe and take any steps needed to carry rescue in total safety.
- In the event of your product being contaminated, consult the manufacturer or his agent. If you have any doubts regarding the safety of the product, or if the product has been used to arrest a fall, it is essential for your safety that the ppe be withdrawn from service and either returned to the manufacturer or to a qualified repair centre for checking or destruction.
- Never try to modify or repair a piece of ppe yourself; only the manufacturer or a repair centre is able to carry out these repairs. These instructions must be kept with the product.
- These instructions must be kept with the product. This ppe must be examined at least once a year by the manufacturer or by an approved person and the check must be logged in the log sheet supplied in the appendix.
- It is estimated that the average life duration is 5 years. However, the following factors may reduce the performance of the product and the life duration: incorrect storage, incorrect use, fall arrest, mechanical deformation, contact with chemicals (acids and alkalis), and exposure to high sources of heat > 60°c.
- It is preferable to use an anchorage point situated above the user. If possible, use structural anchorage points that conform to the standard en795 intended for this purpose.
- The resistance of the anchorage point must, in all cases, be superior to 10kn and:
- Be situated above the operator
- In the vertical axis to the work surface. (maxi. Angle +/- 30°)
Maintenance and storage
- Good maintenance and appropriate storage of your ppe will prolong the working-life of your product, while guaranteeing your safety.
- Be sure to comply with these recommendations:
- The harness should be cleaned with water and a mild soap. Never use acid, solvents or anything based on this.
- Leave it to dry in a well-ventilated area, away from sources of heat.
- Store the harness away from humidity and ultraviolet light.
- Avoid any corrosive atmosphere and excessive heat or cold.
- Connector conform to the norm en 362
- When the karabiner is used to fix to an anchorage point, check that the anchorage point:
- Is situated above the user
- Has a minimum resistance of 10kN
- At the moment of connection to the karabiner, check that the locking system is correctly in place.
The karabiner is an essential element for your safety. We therefore recommend that you:
- Attribute the connector to one person in particular, where possible;
- Check the karabiner before each use in order to safeguard against any distortion any sign of use and to verify the correct operation of the locking system.
- Do not attach and remove it several times during the same working day, if it has a manual lock
- In the same way, if the karabiner has been used to stop a fall, it is essential for safety reasons to return it for checks.
- During transport, check that your ppe is stored away from any source of heat, damp, corrosive atmosphere, ultraviolet light etc. …